Friday, August 6, 2010

When you think of them

If you've read my blog, you know I love to reminisce about life and the people who have touched me along the way.  The awful truth about life is the longer you live, the more people you will lose.  I lost my mom when I was 19 years old. I miss her so much, but what I love to think about was our happy times together. How do you like to remember the people you've lost?  Do you have a fond memory or an experience with a lost loved one?

I'll share one of mine that tickles me pink.  I had to be about 12 or 13 years old.  I was walking down the hallway of our home from my bedroom to either the family room or the kitchen (can't remember).  As I turned the corner to continue down the hall, I saw my mother in the dining room trying to grab a casserole dish out of the hutch.  She dropped it.  Then she dropped the S-bomb.  I gasped because I had never heard her curse before.  She looked up at and smiled.  You know that smile.  She sheepish grin of someone who just got caught.  We never spoke about it and I never heard her curse again, but in that moment, we made an unspoken vow to keep the secret (oops . . . now I've told the blog world).

So what's you fond memory? Funny story? Favorite way to remember your lost loved one?